Hidden Places In Bahia




When it comes to regular everyday restaurants, Bahians enjoy a full meal. 

Now, where to eat.  Thankfully, Bahia herds its fast-food establishments into shopping malls, McDonalds, Burger King or Bobs Burgers have very few standalone restaurants on the main roads, and that is a good thing. Locals mainly frequent these places late night. My wife uses Instagram like the yellow pages. She follows a few influencers on their recommendations. Hey if it looks good in the pictures, let's check it out.  

Bahia, like many places in the world, have special hidden places. Well, mostly everything in Bahia is hidden because driving in the Litoral Norte, you can't see beyond the lush trees and bamboo on the side of the road. A dirt road, a paved road or a cobblestone side road will take you to another world inside the tree lined highway. When it comes to restaurants and food, sometimes it is the hidden path that yields the best results. 

Had to ask questions of the locals to find this place. Eventually we find a paved road on the side of the highway with a small sign onto a very small street which only fits one car at a time. Turn into an alley and down a steep dirt hill into a clearing to park. Then we walk on a boardwalk through the mango grove and notice little crabs in holes beneath us as we go toward the restaurant. 



Baby, how would you like to dine, next to a river in a mango grove with thousands of little crabs underneath us? I never get that question in advance. Never. And that's ok, because I enjoy mystery and adventure in life. Something as basic and simple as lunch can be an adventure. 

Of course, in a tropical setting anything one does can be considered an adventure, yet even in the States, there are neighborhood adventures.  What is down that alley? My father used to call those places holes in the walls. He loved it. I guess that is where I get my curiosity from. He would go to some very suspect places, yet the food was very good and cheap. I think he was one of the original cheap foodies. 

Meantime, the restaurant, as you would expect, is made of all wood. The tables and clay pots and chairs are simple. Some tables are very large to accommodate friends and family. Very relaxed and natural like the river, you ease into lunch, you don't want to rush this experience.  






There is a gentle steady breeze off of the water and on hot summer days is refreshing. Not all tables have a view, and you don't mind because, you know it is a special place. Wait staff are casual, friendly and attentive. The menu is primarily seafood. There are one or two beef or chicken selections but who comes to a river expecting beef? 




Peixe frito (fried fish) in this case red snapper is served with white rice, tomato salad, and farofa.  Simple straightforward and delicious.  The drinks and juices are freshly made. No canned nor bottled mixes here folks. And of course, ice cold beer. I usually try a (caipirinha) each place like Jonny Depp sampled pernil in every Mexican restaurant in Once a Upon A Time In Mexico. I promise you; I will not shoot the bartender when I find the perfect one.  



And if you need additional relaxation, there is a little lounge area next to the restrooms. Some people will smoke here because it is non-smoking in the restaurant.  It is also a waiting area for the river cruze. 


River cruze you say? Yes, the restaurant features a free river tour when your bill is over a specified amount. The scooter boat is small and fast. The river can be choppy against the wind. It is a thrill being a couple of inches above the water feeling the spray. No alligators, that is in the Amazon.  However, there are live creatures in the water that I rather not know.  The scooter takes us to the mouth of the river toward the open ocean. Absolutely breathtaking. Behold! Another hidden beach with bars! 




Bahia has so many hidden natural wonders. This is just one local place, and there is much more. Yeah, Howard that's way too natural for me. I'm not Crocodile Dundee.  Does Bahia have fine dining? Yes of course. Do you like bottle service and fine wine? Yes. We go there too. 

Thank you for reading my travel blog. My name is Howard W. Tucker. I am honored to be your guide to Bahia, Brazil. I have traveled to Bahia for 10 years. I am currently a resident of Brazil, living in Bahia with my wife and family.  As my travel companion, I will be introducing you to sights, sounds, people and culture of this incredibly amazing and diverse country.  

I welcome your thoughts and suggestions about places we can both explore so please feel free to contact me at htvision4edu@gmail.com 


Comments

Popular Posts